When Andreas Ruckers made this double-keyboard harpsichord in 1608 it was fit for a queen. A century after it had been owned by Queen Christina of Sweden the instrument was converted to a piano, a major operation that involved removing a keyboard and replacing the entire internal mechanism. The piano was restored to its original harpsichord form in 1928.This harpsichord was originally a transposing instrument like the other doublemanual Ruckers in the collection. The two keyboards in the instrument were aligned and brought to the same pitch in the late 17th-century when the number of strings to each note was also increased from two to three. In the 18th century it was then converted to a pianoforte and the upper keyboard removed. The restoration to a harpsichord followed in the 1920s. The lid painting of this instrument is particularly fine, and signed “PCIV” on the upper edge of the closed book depicted in the painting. This may be the initials of Pieter Codde (1619-1666). (Raymond Russell Collection).