Celtic and Scottish studies.
The collection was formed by Dr Alexander Cameron (1827-1888) Celtic scholar and minister of the Free Church at Brodick in Arran. It was given to the Library in 1889 by ship owner and colonialist Sir William Mackinnon of Balinakill (1823-1893), who had purchased the library on Cameron's death.
It contains about 3,500 volumes, mainly on Celtic studies and Scottish theology. There are many 19th century, some 18th century and a few 17th century works. Among them are some extremely rare works in Gaelic.
The books are all listed in the pre-1985 typescript catalogue and there are online records for most of them. The collection is mainly kept together at shelfmarks beginning “C.R.”|