|Description||Moray House has been home to a pioneering teacher training centre since 1948. Initially independent, it merged with Edinburgh University in 1998. We hold its archive along with those of predecessor bodies and incorporated institutions. Collectively, they constitute an important record of teacher training, education policy and physical education from the mid-19th century to the present.
Holdings include the archives of the Edinburgh Church of Scotland Training College and Normal School and the Edinburgh United Free Church Training College, which merged to form the Edinburgh Provincial Training College in 1907.
The Edinburgh Provincial Training College was reconstituted as Moray House College of Education in 1959 and as Moray House Institute of Education in 1986. We hold archives for each, along with the records of Moray House’s Demonstration School and Nursery, and the Newington Hostel for female students.
We also hold records for a number of other institutions which merged or were associated with Moray House. These include the Edinburgh Normal and Model Free Church School (1867-1968), St George’s Training College (1886-1939), Dunfermline College of Physical Education (1905-1986), Edinburgh College of Domestic Science (1918-1970), and Callendar Park College (1964-1986).
The collection includes personal papers alongside the records of hostel provision, and of clubs and societies, reflecting the lives of students and staff.
An important related collection is the papers of educational psychologist Godfrey Thomson. Renowned for his pioneering work in intelligence research, Thomson combined the roles of Professor of Education at Edinburgh University and Director of Studies at Moray House from 1925 to 1951.|