Technical description: Double-manual transposing Flemish harpsichord. Compass: upper manual 45 notes C₁/E₁ - C₆ [CC/EE - c'''] at standard Ruckers pitch; lower manual 50 notes C₁/E₁ - F₆ (CC/EE - f''') aligned so that F₁-F₆ play the same strings as the upper manual keys C₁-C₆. Two sets of strings (now removed) 1 × 8-ft, 1 × 4-ft, played from both manuals, 4 registers.
Signature/Marks: Inscribed on name batten "IOANNES RUCKERS FECIT ANTVERPIAE".
Decoration: Fine lid painting of a landscape with figures. The printed papers above the keys, around the soundboard and across the jackrail are original. The original rose is lost and its replacement appears to be Italian. The original keyboards have survived: natural keyplates bone, accidental keyplates bog oak.
Repair History: Neither the outer case decoration nor the stand are original.
Technichal drawing available from the Friends of St Cecilia's Hall. Please see http://www.stceciliasfriends.org.uk/
Sheila Barnes, 2007.
Bought by Raymond Russell before 1956 from Mrs Lotta van Buren Bizallion (who lent it to Yale University); sold by Sir Bernhard Samuelson in 1915; owned by E. Spence, Florence, before 1896.; Gift of Mrs Gilbert Russell, 1964.