Place MadeEurope; France; Paris; Western Europe
DescriptionTechnical description: Double-manual French harpsichord. Compass 61 notes F₁ - F₆ [FF - f''']. Three sets of strings, 2 × 8-ft, 1 × 4-ft, buff batten works on both 8-ft registers. Shove coupler. Rose bears the initials "PT".
String lengths (plucking points): F₆ 148 (91), C₆ 186 (96), F₅ 268 (107), C₅ 357 (115), F₄ 535(127), C₄ 711 (137), F₃ 982 (51), C₃ 1178 (162), F₂ 1443 (179), C₂ 1681 (191), F₁ 1765 (208).
Signature/Marks: Written around the rose "PASCAL TASKIN ELEVE DE BLANCHET".
Decoration: The outside of the case is painted with a pale green lacquer with gold-banding panelling; the inner surfaces are a pale chocolate lacquer with gold bands. The framed stand has six cabriole legs. The soundboard and wrestplank are decorated with sprays of flowers and a goldfinch perched on a branch.
Repair History: Restored by Louis Tomasini in 1882.
Technical drawing available for harpsichord and original stand from the Friends of St Cecilia's Hall. Please see http://www.stceciliasfriends.org.uk/
NotesSheila Barnes, 2007.
Measurements2319.; Instrument: 209.55cm long at longest point, keyboard end 101.6cm wide, depth of 25.4cm.
ProvenanceBought by Raymond Russell in 1952; in 1940 owned by M. Labrousse; in 1920s owned by Martin Asseman; owned by the pianist Louis Diémer; 1897- owned by Mme Alphonse Le Duc; 1882-1897 owned by Emile-Alexandre Taskin, Paris.; Gift of Mrs Gilbert Russell, 1964.
CollectionMIMEd; Raymond Russell Collection