Clarinet, nominal pitch: B♭
Place MadeLondon; Europe; England; United Kingdom
Date MadeCirca 1770
DescriptionThis instrument is of boxwood with one ivory ferrule and five brass keys. It is in four sections: mouthpiece and barrel, upper section, middle section, and lower section and bell in one piece. The bell is almost conical but slightly incurved at the rim. The keymounts are square and flat. The instrument is stamped on the ‘barrel’, upper and lower sections and bell “T. COLLIER / LONDON” / and with two ‘stars’ or sunbursts. There is a hairline crack in the bell. Technical description: Boxwood with one ivory ferrule; brass keys. Four pieces: mouthpiece and barrel in one piece, upper section, middle section, lower section and bell in one piece. Mouthpiece grooved for cord with 12 grooves; short table: aperture trapezoidal, c 29mm long, 4.5 wide at base, 9.2 wide at top, stamped on reed side. `Barrel' and middle section each without ferrule, but with swelling to strengthen socket. Liner of speaker projects almost to centre of bore. `Lower section' has ferrule round socket; no thumb rest. Levers for L4, tone-hole and key for R4 mounted in a fusiform swelling. `Bell' almost conical; slightly in-curved at rim; without ivory ring. L0: T; speaker. L1: T; throat A♮. L2: T. L3: T. L4: E/B♮; F♯/C♯. R1: T;, R2: T;, R3: T. R4: T; G♯/E♭. Keymount type: blocks; swelling; SATK. Keyhead type: square flat.
Notest.k.|dibley, 1992; r.|neil, 1986; g.|melville-mason, 1982; h.|fricke, july 2005.
Measurements672; 570 to tenon of upper section; bell rim overall 65.0.
Provenance(1154/100) and (100/1154) appear to be two clarinets by the same maker whose parts have at some time been wrongly put together, forming two composite instruments which came into the Collection as (100) in 1969 with the Rendall Collection and as (1154) in 1981 with the C.H.|Brackenbury Memorial Collection. H.I.|Brackenbury purchased (1154) from G.|Morley, London, in July 1927, for £1/15/0; the owner of (100) before Geoffrey Rendall is not known. the clarinet here described as (100/1154) is stamped on all sections with two stars, and before overhaul in 1975 had uniform colour of the lapping thread on all tenons which differed from the lapping on (1154/100).; Barrel/mouthpiece and upper section acquired by the University in 1980 (Rendall Collection); lower section and lower section/bell Government allocation to the University 1991 (C.H.|Brackenbury Memorial Collection).