Technical description: Triple-manual Italian harpsichord. Inner-outer case construction. Compass 52 notes C₂/E₂ - G₆ [C/E - g''']. Three sets of strings, 2 × 8-ft, 1 × 4-ft (now removed).
Repair History: Originally a single-manual harpsichord with 53 notes; [G₁, A₁] C₂/E₂ to C₆ with two natural keylevers below a normal broken octave (split D₂/F♯₂ and E₂/G♯₂), and then with split accidental keylevers.
Converted by inserting three keyboards from another instrument by Leopold Franciolini circa 1895.
Restored as a three manual instrument by A.N. Masson in 1915 and M. Asseman.
Signature/Marks: Inscribed on back of nameboard "STEFANUS.BOLCIONIUS.PRATENSIS F. A.D. M.D.C.XXVII.F".
Decoration: The outer case is decorated in the French style with monkeys, figures, and scroll-work on a rich gold ground. The lid interior shows figures in a lake-side scene. The decoration probably dates from about 1920 when the present elaborate stand was made.
Sheila Barnes, 2007.
Purchased by Raymond Russell before 1956; ex- M. & A. Salomon, Paris, 1930; ex- L. Franciolini, Florence.; Gift of Mrs Gilbert Russell, 1964.