Place MadeUnited Kingdom; Scotland; Europe
Date MadeLate 18th or early 19th century
DescriptionThis cello has a soundboard made of spruce; ribs, back, neck and scroll made of sycamore; fingerboard, tailpiece, pegs and tail-gut protector made of ebony. Its soundboard has a medium to close grain, closest in the centre, widest at the middle of each side. Marks show other bridge positions 3-4mm below the current position. Ebony/sycamore/ebony purfling on soundboard and back; the channel on the back has been poorly cut. Fine quality golden varnish. Two piece back, finely figured, rising from the centre to the edges. The neck has been re-set, as seen by a joint in the heel 83mm from the back. Finely figured neck and well cut scroll. Measurements: Neck length 267mm; fingerboard length 538mm, width at nut 28.1mm, at bottom 63.0mm. Arch of soundboard 27mm; arch of back 32mm. Repair History: Large number of repairs, including both of the lower bouts and many large soundboard cracks repaired. A couple of added patches of wood on the ribs, particularly on the treble lower bout. Inscription: Stamped "DEWAR" on the back at the top, just below the purfling. Handwritten notice inside recording a repair by James Hardie, 1890. Playing accessories: tail-pin; 2 fine tuners, wolf suppressor. With canvas case. Large number of repairs, including both of the lower bouts and many large soundboard cracks repaired. A couple of added patches of wood on the ribs, particularly on the treble lower bout. Associated with bow (1605). Illustration references: Vol. 1 p.57. Specific usage history: Played by Lyndesay G. Langwill before he took up the bassoon c 1930. Previous ownership: L.G. Langwill, father of the donor. Current ownership: Gift of Mrs. Joyce Rasch, 1983.
Other InformationSpecific usage history: Played by Lyndesay G. Langwill before he took up the bassoon c. 1930.
NotesD. Martin, 1993-94.
ProvenanceL.G. Langwill, father of the donor.; Gift of Mrs Joyce Rasch, 1983.