Technical description: Soundboard of 4 pieces; flame/moon sound-holes; no trace of soundpost plate; double purfling, ebony/sycamore/ebony/sycamore/ebony/sycamore/ebony. Medium/light figure on the sycamore back and sides. Two piece back (plus piece in the lower bout on the bass side, c|50 wide. Figure ascends from the centre. Neck and head of sycamore. The back is arched, 14 up at lower bout, 11 at waist, and 5 at upper bout; it cannot be determined whether this arching is fully or partly deliberate by the maker, or due to the fragile state of the instrument. Fingerboard and tailpiece of pine, veneered in tortoiseshell and ivory. Pegs of boxwood. Varnish a reddish-brown colour, some visible varnish runs.Neck 296 long; fingerboard 439 long, 50.8 wide at nut, 79.0 wide at bottom.
d.|martin, 27.10.93, 1994.
Sold with bow (3357) by Messrs J. & R. Glen to the Royal Scottish Museum in 1908; in 1885 it belonged to John Glen of J. & R. Glen (whereas other Glen Collection items belonged to the firm J. & R. Glen).; Lent by the Trustees of the National Museums of Scotland, No|1908.260.