Place MadeLondon; Europe; England; United Kingdom
Date MadeCirca 1845
DescriptionTechnical description: English upright piano, Euphonicon design. Compass C₁ - G₇ [CC - g'''']. Three-octave span 491. Ivory naturals, ebony accidentals, sycamore arcades. Top of naturals 685 above floor. Pivoted tracker action. Two pedals, using a metal leaf-spring action. Screw nut mechanism for tuning, with the note names written below the ends of each pair of nuts. The strings are looped over the top of the frame, so that one length of string is used for both strings of a note. The hammers appear to be of felt, although possibly leather. The interior parts appear to be mahogany. Black painted pine keyboard base. Brass hinges. There are a number of square plugged holes from D₂ - G₇ (one plugged hole for each note), then three plugged holes for what would appear to be G♯₇ - C₈, suggesting that another model was made with a C₁ - C₈ compass, triple strung from D₂ - C₈. Further evidence to support this is provided by a black block, width 66 at the treble end of the keyboard between the top of the keyboard and the proper endblock, thus making the keyboard non-symmetrical. Likewise, the hitchpins on the iron frame show that the facility existed for an extra string although each extra string would need a nut pin on the frame.
Other InformationSpecific usage history: Apparently acquired by the University by 1855, since on November 29th of that year Professor John Donaldson paid Wood & Co. of Edinburgh for `Regulating Movement of Euphonicon P.Forte 10/6; Tuning Do 7/6'.
Notesd.p. martin, 1996-1997.