MakerAndreas Ruckers the elder
Place MadeAntwerp; Europe; Belgium; Central Europe
DescriptionTechnical description: Double-manual Flemish harpsichord. Compass 51|notes G₁/B₁ - C₆,D₆ [GG/BB - c''',d''']. Three sets of strings (now removed) 2 × 8-ft, 1 × 4-ft, 4 registers. Repair History: Originally a transposing instrument with two keyboards at different pitches. Altered c|1680 to bring the keyboards into line, extra 8-ft register added. Converted to a pianoforte in the 18th century, upper keyboard removed. Returned to a harpsichord in 1928 by Alec Hodsdon. Restored in 1953 by Andre Douglas with new keyboards and jacks, the original lower keyboard being preserved separately. The name batten is not original.
Notessheila barnes, 2007.
ProvenanceBought by Raymond Russell in 1952 from Miss D.L. Smith, Wickhambrook, Suffolk; owned by Sir Arthur Wheeler, Brownsea Island in 1927; ex- Charles van Raalte collection.; Gift of Mrs Gilbert Russell, 1964.
CollectionMIMEd; Raymond Russell Collection