Date MadeLate 18th Century
DescriptionThis instrument has a soundboard made of spruce; back, ribs, scroll and neck made of sycamore; fingerboard made of stained rosewood; tailpiece and tail-gut protectormade of ebony; and pegs and endbutton made of boxwood. Medium grained soundboard, ebony/sycamore/ebony purfling, holes at top and bottom for positioning soundboard. Unusual shape of f-holes, the nick in the centre being approached by a smooth curve on alternate sides. Dark brown varnish, opaque in places obscuring the grain. Two piece back, light horizontal figure. Two plugged holes from the back into the top block, signs of earlier plugs in the same spots, one plugged hole from the back into the bottom block. Varnish is cracked on the back. Neck 132mm long; fingerboard 263mm long, 19.8mm wide at nut, 44.8mm wide at bottom. Arch of soundboard 17mm; arch of back 15mm. Repair History: A great deal of repairwork has been carried out - the ribs were broken in three places at the bottom, and there are six or so repaired cracks in the soundboard, done with varying degrees of skill.
Other InformationSpecific usage history: Played and owned by William Marshall (1749-1833), Scottish fiddler-composer of Keithmore, County of Banff.
Notesd. martin, 1993-94.
ProvenanceAfter Marshall, acquired by George Hay; purchased by John Gordon Smith of Minmore in 1857 from George Hay; presented to William Marshall Skinner of Drumin, 13th June 1888, by Smith;received by J.M. Skinner, October 1904, on the death of William Marshall Skinner; latterly owned by James Hay McInnes Skinner, great-great-grandson of William Marshall.; Gift of Colin Marshall Skinner (great-great-grandson of William Marshall) and Mrs Phyllis Barbara Skinner (widow of previous owner), 1965.
CollectionMIMEd; Reid Collection