Technical description: Double-manual French harpsichord. Compass 61 notes, F₁ - F₆ [FF - f''']. 3 sets of strings 2 × 8-ft, 1 × 4-ft. Gauge numbers stamped into the wrestplank, they appear to date from Taskin's rebuilding. Shove coupler. Peau de buffle to lower manual 8-ft, buff batten to upper manual 8-ft, knee levers/genouilléres one of which moves all the jacks away from the strings to create a sostenuto effect.
String lengths (plucking points): F₆ 142 (80), C₆ 184 (87), F₅ 271 (98), C₅ 366 (105), F₄ 550 (113), C₄ 713 (124), F₃ 993 (138), C₃ 1207 (148), F₂ 1532 (162), C₂ 1727 (174), F₁ 1835 (193).
Signature/Marks: Inscribed on the name batten "FAIT PAR PASCAL TASKIN A PARIS 1783". "Refait par Pascal Taskin a Paris 1784" stamped with metal die stamps on the wrestplank. Rose bears the initials "IC" which led to the instrument being attributed to Couchet for many years. Inscribed on the soundboard "1764".
Decoration: The outside of the case is in black lacquer with gold-band panelling and chinoiserie. The interior is vermilion lacquer with gold bands and chinoiserie decoration. The framed stand has seven cabriole legs. The soundboard and wrestplank are decorated with painted sprays of flowers.
Sheila Barnes, 2007.
Bought by Raymond Russell from Mrs George Crawley in 1959; owned by Arnold Dolmetsch in 1903.; Bought by the University of Edinburgh from Mrs Gilbert Russell in 1974 with assistance from the Friends of St Cecilia's Hall, and the National Fund for Acquisitions.