CreatorGiovan Battista Sandi
Place of OriginBologna, Italy
DescriptionGiovanni Antonio Galli (1708-1782), Professor of Surgery at the University of Bologna, set up at his home a School of Obstetrics using clay models as a didactic support. These clay models of the uterus were realised by Giovan Battista Sandi. Later, Benedict XIV established the Course of Obstetrics at the Institute of Sciences entrusting it to Galli, who opened the lessons to a new audience: midwives. In 1872 the model was restored and repainted in natural colours by the modeller Cesare Bettini.
TagsGiovan Antonio Galli; Giovan Battista Sandi; uterus; terracotta; obstetrics; Cesare Bettini;
Dimensions40 cm x 28 cm x 17cm
Institutional Link to Objecthttp://www.sma.unibo.it/il-sistema-museale/museo-di-palazzo-poggi/collezioni/gallery
Image Rights Holder© Copyright 2017 - ALMA MATER STUDIORUM - Università di Bologna
Photographic CreditsCristina Nisi