Three quarter length. Sir John stands against a red and grey curtain. His left hand is thrust into the pocket of his grey suit, and in his right hand he holds papers. Behind him, Vice-Chancellor's robes and and an LL.D hood.
After graduating from the University of Edinburgh M.B., CH.B. with honours at the age of 22, proceeding CH.M. in 1920, he was admitted F.R.C.S.ED. in 1910 and M.D. in 1912. In the First World War he served with the R.A.M.C. and was awarded the Military Cross. In 1919 he joined the staff of the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary as Assistant Surgeon, becoming Surgeon-in-Ordinary in 1925, the year of his appointment to the Regius Chair of Clinical Surgery. Knighted K.C.V.O. in 1937, he was created Baronet of Tain in 1943. In the summer of 1944, the year he assumed the Principalship, he was made an honorary Doctor of Laws of the University. After three years' office Sir John died very suddenly at the Old College on 1st December 1947.
In the short period of his Principalship, Sir John Fraser achieved much. He guided the University through the many problems and changes that followed the ending of the War. he played an important part in two developments; the scheme for a School of Rural Economy on the Bush and Dryden Estates and the acquisition of the printing house of R. & R. Clark by gift to the University.
Seven Chairs were created and twenty-three professors appointed during his time in office